Last time I wrote, which was awhile ago, I’d done the writing for real, and just ruled the lines in the text block. Since then, I’ve had my head down, painting.
Ruling the lines for the text block is scary. There are the left and right margins, and the ascender/descender lines that are to be ruled in pen. The waistlines just get rubbed out, and the text ends up looking like it’s floating.
Not something you want to make a mistake with. A crooked line takes a lot of gentle correction with a scalpel, rubber and burnisher. Or ruling the wrong line in ink. Thankfully, I didn’t.
I used a Uniball pen. I want to learn to use a ruling pen one day.
After giving up on what on earth the amber crystals I had – that I thought were gum ammoniac – were, I went for Will’s Quills gilding mix. It’s a PVA based mix.
I used transfer gold with it.
I found the edges were very ragged, and found a note in Elyse Boucher’s website notes that this did happen with transfer gold. I neatened/pushed them back with a pencil point burnisher.
The raggedness can be seen in the photos – I haven’t done any neatening around the illuminated letter at the top left, for example.
I also realized the importance of keeping the writing within that final right hand side margin. I’ve crossed it a little twice – and had to leave a little white space in the gilding of the border so I didn’t cover the letters. ooops. I’d loose marks for that if it were being marked!
I did the gilding in sections – laying down some base, letting it dry, another coat, then gilding it, whilst other sections had a coat or two, or were drying. I haven’t neatened and burnished all of it yet.
Then onto the painting. (yay!)
blue – light ultramarine blue
dark blue – ultramarine blue
red – light cadmium
dark red – carnation (transparent, a stainer, but a good colour)
green – my pigment of chrome green (haven’t found a tube gouache to match – it’s the perfect colour green for this as far as I’m concerned)
dark green – brunswick green
orange – flame orange
yellow – cadmium yellow
pink – tint of azilirin red
dark pink – tine of azilirin red
outlining – indigo
white for mixing – opaque white. I need to visit the art shop and get the right mixing white, but this one seems to work ok. I don’t have any zinc white.
Sally very kindly took some photos for me.
I was working on the pink acanthus twist “barber’s pole” (I call them that) at the top at the time.
I outlined the elements of this roundel using the uniball pen, and the line was far too thick. I had to repaint the edges to thin the line (insert swear words here).
I’ve outlined the rest in indigo goauche – much better, tho I should probably be using prussian blue, which is a bit darker.
I describe how I paint – physical mixing the colours on the paper, in
- “The Soft Method of Blending”.
Boy, do I need to clean that paper up! But the description of how I paint is all correct.
So the pink acanthus in the box right next to the roundel is outlined in the indigo paint, for comparison to the pen outlining.
The piece is 40 cm by 50 cm.